Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Gobi Manchurian

I love gobi manchurian. My mother used to make it since I was in 11th-12th grade. So of course this is my mother's recipe. This is one of the recipes that I learnt in my teenage days. So I am little nostalgic about it. When first time I was making gobi manchurian without help of my mom, after marriage of course, i was curious about how others make it. So I googled for the recipe and to my surprise I did not find any recipe for gobi manchurian that can be made with cabbage. Yes I make gobi manchurian with patta gobi/cabbage/kobi. That time the recipes for gobi manchurian I found were with phul gobi/cauliflower. This was way back in 2009. I did try those recipes as well but after that I never searched for cabbage gobi manchurian.

This recipe is totally different from what we get at food stalls or hotels. This is simple and easy to make recipe. There is no need to make gravy for this recipe. Still it tastes good. This recipe has been developed as time passes. Some changes made by mother some by me. But the original procedure of the recipe is still the same. So here is my family recipe for gobi manchurian.

Ingredients

Cabbage 1 1/2 cup finely shredded
Carrot 1/2 cup finely shredded
Whole wheat flour 1 cup
Cornstarch 1 tbsp
Ginger 1 inch shredded or paste
Chilies 1-2 finely chopped
Soy sauce 1 tbsp
Sugar 1/2 tsp
salt as per taste
Oil for deep frying
Finely chopped cabbage for serving

For sauce
Tomato ketchup
tomato and chilly sauce

Recipe

1. In a large bowl combine together cabbage, carrot, ginger, chilies, soy sauce, sugar, salt (be careful about adding salt as soy sauce has some). Mix them together.
2. Now add cornstarch and flour and make a dough. Add little more flour if you feel dough is still wet but don’t make it dry. Keep this dough aside for half an hour.
3. Heat the oil in a deep pan. Roughly make small size balls of the dough and fry them until they become golden brown.
4. Heat a separate pan and to it add 1 tbsp hot oil from earlier pan, 1-2 tbsp of tomato ketchup, 1 tbsp chilly tomato sauce. (For this step you can add your choice of 2-3 types of sauce).5. Warm it up little while stirring and now add the fried balls. Mix the balls in sauce till every ball covers with sauce. Serve this gobi manchurian hot with sprinkle of finely chopped cabbage.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dahi Pohe (दही पोहे) (Flattened rice with curd)

Thick Flattened Rice We have a saying, if someone offers you poha (any flattened rice dish), you never say no to it. At least eat a spo...