Saturday, February 7, 2015

Egg-less Vanilla Cupcakes



I am a fan of baking but I did not get the chance to bake frequently before this. I love cakes and now enjoying baking them.

I was trying to bake cupcakes for quite a while. But anyhow they did not come out well. But finally I got the perfect recipe to relish those beauties. The last batch I made was way too perfect for me. They were light, they were spongy and they were moist. The cupcakes were perfect as they had to be. This was the first time, I was so happy with my baking experience. I followed the recipe from 
Glorious treats. Here the recipe says use cake flour, i did not have the cake flour so used the substitute of making my own cake flour. I have just replaced eggs with yogurt/curd (for each egg ¼ cup yogurt), as I always do egg-less baking.
One might think what is the purpose of using buttermilk and yogurt at the same time. I had not planned it such way, I just followed the above recipe and used yogurt as a replacement for eggs. The original recipe has buttermilk in it. But I would definitely want to try it by excluding one of these ingredients in my future experiments. For now this recipe works perfectly for me.
Ingredients

1 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of plain yogurt/curd
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
(or 1/2 cup milk plus 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice- add acid to the milk then set aside for 5 minutes before using)

Recipe

1.Preheat oven to 350°F. In the bowl add plain yogurt and beat until it becomes smooth. Add sugar and continue to beat until sugar dissolves. Add vanilla and oil, beat.
2. Sieve in cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. (here I used cake flour substitute, recipe in the tips below). Stir the mixture slowly by adding the milk in small portions.
3. The batter will be thin, like pouring consistency. Pour batter into a muffin pan prepared with paper liners. Fill liners about 2/3 full.
4. Bake cupcakes in preheated oven for 12-14 minutes. Mine came out in 14 minutes.
5. Cool in pan for 1-2 minutes, then remove cupcakes from the pan and finish cooling on a wire rack.

Tips

If you don’t find cake flour at grocery store then do not worry. You can make it at home and use it as a substitute for cake flour.

Recipe

For 1 cup of cake flour, take 1 cup of all purpose flour or maida. Remove 2 tbsp of flour from it and add 2 tbsp of cornstarch to it. Your cake flour is ready.

3 comments:

Dahi Pohe (दही पोहे) (Flattened rice with curd)

Thick Flattened Rice We have a saying, if someone offers you poha (any flattened rice dish), you never say no to it. At least eat a spo...